Currency Calculator by Send Money Home.

GBP Flag
1 GBP = 1.11485 EUR
EUR Flag
1 EUR = 0.8970 GBP

View Providers Switch Currencies

Where to apply for immigration in Portugal

SMH advert

How do I get a visa?

EU nationals do not need a visa for Portugal.
If you are from a non-EU country, check with the Portuguese embassy in the country where you are (find a list of embassies at Embassies Worldwide) to enquire about visa requirements. The Schengen Office also has useful visa information.

Non-EU nationals will not be permitted to work without first obtaining a work visa.
You may also wish to contact your ministry of foreign affairs (or your own embassy, if you are not in your home country) to find out whether there are any issues to be considered if you are planning to visit Portugal to study or work.

How do I apply for permanent residency?

The residence card (Autorização de Residência) is necessary for anyone who moves to Portugal, or for anyone who is planning to stay for longer than six months. This includes those who work, the self-employed, students, those intending to live off savings, retired people and family members of any of the above.

Applications for a residency permit should be made at the regional directorate or the Delegation of the SEF in the area of residence.

**- SEF Head Office**
**At:** Rua Conselheiro José Silvestre Ribeiro 4, 1649-007 Lisbon
**Tel:** 217 115 000
**Fax:** 217 161 595

EU nationals who intend to stay in Portugal for longer than three months must apply to the Portuguese Immigration Service (Servicio do Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) (helpful website in Portuguese and English) for a ‘registration certificate’.

This certificate is initially valid for five years, or for the period of intended residence if this is less than five years. After living in Portugal for five years, you can apply to the immigration authorities for a certificate of permanent residence.